Thursday, December 19, 2013

A Letter To Phil Robertson: On Gentleness and Wisdom

Mr. Robertson,

One part of me wants to encourage you for your boldness in the face of a cultural war, speaking out on an issue that's important to you.  Going against the grain, if you will.  One part of me wants to say, "Yeah!  You should be able to say whatever you want to say about whoever, whenever!  This is the United States of America and you've got the right to free speech!"  And I think, in one sense, this is true.

Consider this, if you will:  "Existing power structures would have loved to silence Nelson Mandela (and Martin Luther King while we're at it) because of his views. I don't think anyone can propose media restriction while discussing huge ideas... What if someone deemed this conversation "lacking in character" or "dangerous" and deleted it?" That's a quote from a Facebook conversation with a friend of mine earlier this month--he makes a great point, doesn't he? The Germans and Russians who opposed their power structures were deemed dangerous and silenced. And things escalated quickly from there.

Another point to consider, however, is this:  A&E, the television business that suspended you, is just that--a business. And just like you have the freedom to say what you want, they have the freedom to present their own views with their own business.  (But then I wonder, can someone legally be suspended from their job for talking about their religious convictions?)

But Phil, if you don't care about anything I've said thus far, please do consider this final point:



You've identified yourself, quite repeatedly, as a Christian. Your purpose for living is to make Jesus known. You've made much of this idea. So I want to ask, is the following statement--your recent statement--said in language that makes the person of Jesus known to the nations?

“It seems like, to me, a vagina—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s anus.  That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”

I'm not going to go into the substance of what you said; it's the way you said it that is disconcerting. I'm not saying that you should've kept your mouth shut. Rather, I'm saying that you should've spoken with gentleness and wisdom and wholesome language.  Indeed, you talk about the Bible as the very word of God; consider these statements:

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." (Ephesians 4:29)

"Act wisely toward outsiders, making the most of the time. And your words should always be with grace, as if seasoned with salt, and be aware how it is appropriate for you to answer each man." (Colossians 4:5-6)

"Now who is there to harm you if you are zealous for what is good?  But even if you should suffer for righteousness' sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God's will, than for doing evil." (1 Peter 3:13-17)

I'm not saying that you should stay silent.  But if you're going to speak out, and you're going to call yourself a follower of Jesus while doing it, do it with wholesome, gracious, wise words.  And if you get carried away and slip with your tongue, as we all do at times, apologize.  Seek reconciliation.  Put on love.  Enough of the "I'm an American and I'm from the South so I'll say whatever I please" stuff.  It isn't wise or gentle or wholesome or self-controlled.  It isn't Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment