Tuesday, April 9, 2013

FAME.


Plato's Symposium 208d:
"Every one of us, no matter what he does, is longing for the endless fame, the incomparable glory that is theirs, and the nobler he is, the greater his ambition, because he is in love with the eternal."

John 12.25-26:
"Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me."

I am constantly tempted by the desire for worldly fame and affirmation.  If I'm honest, that was one of the underlying reasons for starting this blog.  I wanted to give my thoughts room to explore via public domain, but the desire to be noticed was--and is--certainly difficult to tear away.  However, when I come to a quiet place and I'm left with my awareness and the reality of God, I am reminded of the beautiful, pure and ultimate honor given by the Artist of Life himself.  I eagerly await the day when--trusting that I endure to the end with his help--he takes my head in his hands and says, "Well done, good and faithful servant." The fame and affirmation of men and women will surely die with death, but the honor of God goes on without end.  Note: I've expanded and updated this post here.

1 comment: