Tuesday, November 20, 2012

some interesting quotes about Jesus.


I wanted to do something a little different and share these quotes that I've stumbled upon.  Enjoy.  Oh, and these in no way express my own views, except some of them--

"Being noticed can be a burden. Jesus got himself crucified because he got himself noticed. So I disappear a lot."
-Bob Dylan 




“The way of Jesus cannot be imposed or mapped — it requires an active participation in following Jesus as he leads us through sometimes strange and unfamiliar territory, in circumstances that become clear only in the hesitations and questionings, in the pauses and reflections where we engage in prayerful conversation with one another and with him.” 
-Eugene H. Peterson, The Jesus Way: A Conversation on the Ways That Jesus Is the Way




"Jesus does not give recipes that show the way to God as other teachers of religion do. He is himself the way."
-Karl Barth 



"I'm a Muslim, but I think Jesus would have a drink with me. He would be cool. He would talk to me." 
-Mike Tyson 




"For the Christian, heaven is where Jesus is. We do not need to speculate on what heaven will be like. It is enough to know that we will be for ever with Him." 
-William Barclay 



"In the Church of Jesus Christ there can and should be no non-theologians." 
-Karl Barth 



“Because God has made us for Himself, our hearts are restless until they rest in Him.” 
-Saint Augustine of Hippo




“The irony is that while God doesn’t need us but still wants us, we desperately need God but don’t really want Him most of the time.” 
-Francis Chan



“I want neither a terrorist spirituality that keeps me in a perpetual state of fright about being in right relationship with my heavenly Father nor a sappy spirituality that portrays God as such a benign teddy bear that there is no aberrant behavior or desire of mine that he will not condone. I want a relationship with the Dad of Jesus, who is infinitely compassionate with my brokenness and at the same time an awesome, incomprehensible, and unwieldy Mystery. ” 
-Brennan Manning




“For some reason, the most vocal Christians among us never mention the Beatitudes (Matthew 5). But, often with tears in their eyes, they demand that the Ten Commandments be posted in public buildings. And of course, that's Moses, not Jesus. I haven't heard one of them demand that the Sermon on the Mount, the Beatitudes, be posted anywhere. 'Blessed are the merciful' in a courtroom? 'Blessed are the peacemakers' in the Pentagon? Give me a break!” 
-Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country



“If sympathy is all that human beings need, then the Cross of Christ is an absurdity and there is absolutely no need for it. What the world needs is not 'a little bit of love,' but major surgery. If you think you are helping lost people with your sympathy and understanding, you are a traitor to Jesus Christ. You must have a right-standing relationship with Him yourself, and pour your life out in helping others in His way— not in a human way that ignores God.” 
-Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest: Traditional Updated Edition



No comments:

Post a Comment